We knew of the existence of a green egg since first reading Eragon, but it wasn’t until Brisingr, when we still hadn’t seen the “Green Rider,” that we began to wonder when we would see it hatch, who it would hatch for, and what side they would be on. The release of the official cover of Inheritance was revealed in March of 2011, refueling fan excitement and speculation.We couldn’t be quite sure who would join the exclusive list of remaining Riders in Alagaësia, but the community certainly had its theories:
- Arya: Ultimately proving to be “the one,” Arya was a fan favorite since the moment she rode Saphira after breaking the star sapphire, her hands filled with green magic
- Elva: What would be more terrifying than Elva riding atop her own dragon? Together, the pair would be unstoppable, and the already-blessed child was the perfect age to become a Rider
- Orik: Fans weren’t too far off with their theory that Orik would become the first dwarf Rider. He would ultimately become king of the dwarves, and the Riders’ pact was expanded to include dwarves and Urgals.
- Roran: Roran’s importance to the series came as a surprise as the events in Carvahall began to unfold in Eldest. We soon saw Roran take charge and become an exceptional leader, leaving fans to wonder, “Could he be the next Rider?”
- An unknown enemy: Fans were left worrying that another one of Galbatorix’s servants would become the Green Rider
Why did he ultimately shy away from choosing Elva as the Green Rider? Christopher explained in a recent interview:
Elva was originally considered for the role of “Green Rider” before you chose Arya instead. Is it possible Elva could become a Rider in the future?
Christopher: Possible, yes. However, I think that it would end up making her over-powered. She already has an amazing ability; being a Rider as well seems like overkill to me. If she were, though, she’d be pretty scary. Even Galbatorix wouldn’t have stood a chance against her.
As it would turn out, Arya would be tapped as the next Rider to take flight in the Cycle when the male egg hatched for her in Ellesméra. She thus raised the young dragon Fírnen in Tel’naeír where Oromis and Glaedr once trained, a holy ground for Dragon and Rider. Continue reading this article…