It’s hard to believe it’s been ten years since the release of the film adaptation of Eragon. First announced in 2003, the movie spent nearly four years in production and despite its massive budget and big-name actors, Eragon premiered across the world to mixed reviews and massive disappointment from fans.
We’ve spent the past decade reflecting on the film – what could have been, where it went wrong, and whether or not we’ll ever see another attempt at a cinematic Alagaësia. Much has changed in the years since. Many books have gone on to have wildly successful adaptations in Hollywood; fantasy is hotter than ever, thanks to the likes of Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and other mega-franchises; authors are more involved than ever in the adaptations of their books (which is largely at the discretion of their respective movie studios); new executives have taken over at Fox, the studio who holds the rights to Eragon. Does all of this bode well for a new reboot? We think so!
As part of our tenth anniversary “celebration,” we’re going to be releasing a series of articles aimed at exploring where the Eragon movie went wrong, whether it’s possible to see the Inheritance Cycle rebooted on the big screen, other types of adaptations we’d like to see, dream cast for future films, and much more! Plus, we’ll be recording and releasing the long-awaited audio commentary track featuring as our staff watch the Eragon movie, sharing our uncensored opinions as we go!
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s to come:
- Round-up of everything we know about an Eragon reboot
- Poll/discussion – Would you rather a movie/TV show/game/anime/comic?
- The Eragon video games you never knew existed (and their surprising quality!)
- Exploring the incredible film soundtrack
- Looking back at the Eragon movie’s surprising deleted scenes
- Eragon cast – Where are they now? (article series)
- Eragon movie dream cast (article series)
- What went wrong? Exploring the film’s potential – and its eventual fizzle
- Is there hope for Eragon on the big screen in 2017?
- Forget a movie – what about a TV show?!
- Eragon movie audio commentary track (recorded by Shur’tugal staff)
We’ve got much more to come! Have thoughts or ideas on other articles you’d like to see us write? Let us know in the comments!
We’d love to hear from you! When did you first see the Eragon movie? Did you see the movie before reading the books, or vice-versa? How would you rate the film on a scale from 1 to 10? Let us know in the comments!